- Country of manufactureRomania
The white, turning yellow when heating powder. Crystals at the room temperature are colourless.
- vulcanization activator of some rubbers
- curing agent of hloroprenovykhkauchuk
- methanol synthesis catalyst
- satin white by production of paints and enamels (now (2007) it is forced out by non-toxic TiO2 titanium dioxide)
- filler and pigment in production:
- to perfumery and cosmetics
- In medicine in the form of powders and as a part of ointments as antiseptics. See article: Zinc oxide (medicine).
- additive to sterns for animals
- in production of glass and paints on the basis of liquid glass
- as one of rust solvent components
It is known also that zinc oxide possesses photocatalytic activity that in practice is used for creation of self-cleaning surfaces, bactericidal coverings for walls and ceilings in hospitals and so forth. For photocatalytic water treatment commercially zinc oxide is not used now.
Besides, zinc oxide powder — perspective material as actuation medium for powder lasers. On the basis of zinc oxide have created LED of blue color. Thin films and other nanostructures on the basis of zinc oxide can be applied as sensitive gas and biological sensors.
Properties of zinc oxide cause it widely application in pharmaceutical industry. Zinc oxide has found broad application in creation of abrasive tooth pastes and cements in therapeutic stomatology, in creams for suntan and cosmetic procedures, in production of electrocable, imitation leather and industrial rubber goods. Besides, application is widespread in the tire, paint and varnish, oil processing industries. Zinc oxide participates process of manufacture of glass and ceramics.